birds in blue

birds in blue

Friday, November 18, 2011

Raggedy Ann

I grew up technology free.  My favorite childhood toys were books and dolls that inspired imagination in my play and developed a nurturing spirit in my heart.  My favorite doll was Raggedy Ann. I recently had a desire to see her again,  so I opened the trunk that holds touchable memories and there she was, nestled cozily on top of a soft quilt, beaming up at me with that painted smile and those shiny, black button eyes!

As I held her in my hands, the child in me was recreated and I reveled in the sight of her familiarity.  Her little white apron adorned a classic, blue flowered dress; red and white stockings ended in black shoe-feet and a large loop of red yarn was the crowning glory on top of her head. She was exactly as I remembered:  perfect!
Of course there were other things I didn’t notice at first glance.  A faint, brown stain rimmed her mouth.  Her red yarn hair was faded, worn and matted.   The ribbon that fastened her apron was no more than a blue string.  Ann’s bloomers had lost their elasticity and kept creeping down around her candy-stripe legs. (Poor thing!) The years of loving had taken their toll on her.
 
One thing about Ann has remained miraculously intact:  the red heart on her chest.   It still boldly reads “I Love You”.  As a child, I loved to hunt for it under the folds of her dress to be sure it was still there.  It was like a sweet secret between us that I could “find” anytime I wished.  It never changed; it always read the same thing, “I love you”.  And I loved Ann because she said it first.

Raggedy Ann reminds me of how God must see us -  worn ragged by trying to be "enough" in a world of all things shiny and sophisticated.  But God sees our imperfections as an invitation for His grace.  He asks us to come to Him exactly as we are – stained faces and saggy bloomers – so that He can love us into the image of Christ. 

And our hearts say, “I love You”, because He said it first.

We love him, because he first loved us.
1 John 4:19

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the sweet reminder of God's love and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful. So glad HIS love is fresh and his mercies are new each day. Keeps my raggedy life full of hope and fulfillment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Raggedy Ann was always one of my favorites, too. I married a redhead, and Raggedy Ann and Andy were on top of our wedding cake!

    Love your message, Teri -- He loves us first, just as we are. Blessings on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful site, Teri! I'm so proud of you! And your post is beautiful too. I love the vision of you searching for Raggedy Ann's heart. Funny how such small things are emblazoned in our minds.

    Yes, I'm thankful He loved me first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post...it's way too often I feel like Raggedy Ann! I love this analogy. Your new site looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, have a Raggedy Ann. And my 58 year old teddy bear, Bobo. After reading your post, I picked them both up and hugged them. I feel God doing that to me when I search for him, when I seek his face, when I say to him "I love you." Love your new site! Love you!

    ReplyDelete